Thursday, May 31, 2007
The nice thing about this semester is I get to ride to and from school with my brothers. We're car pooling. Its nice since we don't get to spend all the at much time together any more what with all our seperate interests and activities and me not living here half the time. Granted they have classes 3 hours before me but I can use the time to study, work on home work, knit, or whatever. Which will be great I'll get more done.
Well I should hit the hay since I have classes tomorrow and I have to be ready to go by 7. Hope everyone is doing well.
Tuesday, May 29, 2007
The flight from VA to TN was interesting. The first flight went great loading quickly, taking off quickly, good company (I sat next to a piolet who lives in a Aruba and works for Southwest). The second flight was secudeled to have an hour layover which was expected so I worked on my black and white striped hat and talked to a really nice girl from Huston, Texas. We loaded on the plane and a computer broke. So they replaced the computer and it didn't work so we loaded off the plane and moved over a terminal and waited for another flight to unload and then we reloaded on to the new flight. Just sitting on the plane while they worked the computer situation was an hour to give you an idea of the delay. No biggie though I did feel bad because I had forgotten my cell phone at Nathans and couldn't call my mother who was picking me up. Not that it would have mattered because she forgot to take hers as well. haha.
So all the knitting on the hat is finished and I crocheted the orange border on it and started attaching the orange Mohawk. I am trying a slightly diffrent technique with the frindge though. We'll see how it works in comparison to the the other hats. I decided that I am going to give this hat to my friends Ryan and Alicia's son. I'll make another for their 8 month old daughter Evie.
Tomorrow I start my summer classes. I'm just taking science classes with their labs so it should be a sinch. They start at 9:45am and go til 12:30ish Monday through Friday. I am actually really glad since with out it till I find my job I have very little to do that doesn't make me feel like a loafer. Anywhoodles. I need to hit the sack.
Saturday, May 26, 2007
I started another Mohawk hat. I have an hour delay tomorrow and I don't want to be stuck with nothing to do. Its black and white striped. I am trying to enlist the no color jog stripe trick that I learned at Knittapalooza this year in Sally Melville's class on Stripes. I am not doing it right so far but I hope to get it by the end of the hat. I feel this is a good project to practice on since I am going to be covering the seam with a Mohawk anyway.
Speaking of Knittapalooza I need to remember to pay for next year assapple so I can get into Nicky Epstein's classes. I love her work. Still need to finish the Roses on my Rose bag. That should totally be done by now. Maybe that should be my goal for the week when I get home.
Goals for the week
Knit Roses for bag
Apply for Job
Go through Stuff in Storage Shed
Finish current Mohawk hat
There thats pretty hefty.
Friday, May 25, 2007
1. Bought everyone in the bar a drink
2. Swam with dolphins
3. Climbed a mountain
4. Taken a Ferrari for a test drive
5. Been inside the Great Pyramid
6. Held a tarantula
7. Taken a candlelit bath with someone
8. Said “I love you” and meant it
9. Hugged a tree
10. Bungee jumped
11. Visited Paris
12. Watched a lightning storm at sea
13. Stayed up all night long and saw the sun rise
14. Seen the Northern Lights
15. Gone to a huge sports game
16. Walked the stairs to the top of the leaning Tower of PisaI am marking this one because I visited the tower when your weren't allowed to enter it so you couldn't walk up it but I've been to it
17. Grown and eaten your own vegetables
18. Touched an iceberg
19. Slept under the stars
20. Changed a baby’s diaper
21. Taken a trip in a hot air balloon
22. Watched a meteor shower
23. Gotten drunk on champagne
24. Given more than you can afford to charity
25. Looked up at the night sky through a telescope
26. Had an uncontrollable giggling fit at the worst possible moment
27. Had a food fight
28. Bet on a winning horse
29. Asked out a stranger
30. Had a snowball fight
31. Screamed as loudly as you possibly can
32. Held a lamb
33. Seen a total eclipse
34. Ridden a roller coaster
35. Hit a home run
36. Danced like a fool and not cared who was looking
37. Adopted an accent for an entire day
38. Actually felt happy about your life, even for just a moment
39. Had two hard drives for your computer
40. Visited all 50 states
41. Taken care of someone who was shit faced
42. Had an amazing friend
43. Danced with a stranger in a foreign country
44. Watched wild whales
45. Stolen a sign
46. Backpacked in Europe
47. Taken a road-trip
48. Gone rock climbing
49. Midnight walk on the beach
50. Gone sky diving
51. Visited Ireland
52. Been heartbroken longer than you were actually in love
53. In a restaurant, sat at a stranger’s table and had a meal with them
54. Visited Japan
55. Milked a cow
56. Alphabetized your CDs
57. Pretended to be a superhero
58. Sung karaoke
59. Lounged around in bed all day
60. Posed nude in front of strangers
61. Gone scuba diving
62. Kissed in the rain
63. Played in the mud
64. Played in the rain
65. Gone to a drive-in theater
66. Visited the Great Wall of China
67. Started a business
68. Fallen in love and not had your heart broken
69. Toured ancient sites
70. Taken a martial arts class
71. Played D&D for more than 6 hours straight
72. Gotten married
73. Been in a movie
74. Crashed a party
76. Gone without food for 5 days
77. Made cookies from scratch
78. Won first prize in a costume contest
79. Ridden a gondola in Venice
80. Gotten a tattoo
81. Rafted the Snake River
82. Been on television news programs as an expert
83. Got flowers for no reason
84. Performed on stage
85. Been to Las Vegas
86. Recorded music
87. Eaten shark it was shark jerky
88. Eaten fugu (pufferfish)
89. Had a one-night stand
90. Gone to Thailand
91. Bought a house
92. Been in a combat zone
93. Buried one/both of your parents
94. Been on a cruise ship
95. Spoken more than one language fluently
96. Performed in Rocky Horror Picture Show
97. Raised children
98. Followed your favorite band/singer on tour
99. Taken an exotic bicycle tour in a foreign country
100. Picked up and moved to another city to just start over
101. Walked the Golden Gate Bridge
102. Sang loudly in the car, and didn’t stop when you knew someone was looking
103. Had plastic surgery
104. Survived an accident that you shouldn’t have survived
105. Wrote articles for a large publication
106. Lost over 100 pounds
107. Held someone while they were having a flashback
108. Piloted an airplane
109. Petted a stingray just this week actually
110. Broken someone’s heart
111. Ridden a bike
112. Won money on a T.V. game show
113. Broken a bone
114. Gone on an African photo safari
115. Had a body part of yours below the neck pierced
116. Fired a rifle, shotgun, or pistol X
117. Eaten mushrooms that were gathered in the wild X
118. Ridden a horse
119. Had surgery
120. Had a snake as a pet
121. Hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon
122. Slept for more than 30 hours over the course of 48 hours
123. Visited more foreign countries than U.S. states
124. Visited all 7 continents
125. Taken a canoe trip that lasted more than 2 days
126. Eaten kangaroo meat
127. Eaten sushi
128. Had your picture in the newspaper
129. Changed someone’s mind about something you care deeply about
130. Gone back to school
132. Petted a cockroach
133. Eaten fried green tomatoes
134. Read The Iliad and The Odyssey
135. Selected one important author who you missed in school, and read
136. Killed and prepared an animal for eating (caught it) it was fish
137. Skipped all your school reunions
138. Communicated with someone without sharing a common spoken language
139. Been elected to public office
140. Written your own computer language
141. Thought to yourself that you’re living your dream
142. Had to put someone you love into hospice care
143. Built your own PC from parts
144. Sold your own artwork to someone who didn’t know you
145. Had a booth at a street fair
146. Dyed your hair
147. Been a DJ
148. Shaved your head
149. Caused a car accident
150. Saved someone’s life
Your Score: Myrna Loy
You scored 16% grit, 33% wit, 33% flair, and 33% class!
You are class itself, the calm, confident "perfect woman." Men turn and look at you admiringly as you walk down the street, and even your rivals have a grudging respect for you. You always know the right thing to say, do and, of course, wear. You can take charge of a situation when things get out of hand, and you're a great help to your partner even if they don't immediately see or know it. You are one classy dame. Your screen partners include William Powell and Cary Grant, you little simmerpot, you.
Find out what kind of classic leading man you'd make by taking the
Classic Leading Man Test.
|Link: The Classic Dames Test written by gidgetgoes on OkCupid Free Online Dating, home of the The Dating Persona Test|
Interestingly enough that isn't the only thing the shower brought up today. Nathan came home from work early and proposed to me officially as I was standing peeking out of the shower I was taking. The ring is beautiful (pictures later). Now some of you might think that this is a horribly unromantic way to propose but to be honest Nathan and I have been proposing to each other during every special moment and ordinary moment when the thought popped into our heads for the past... at least 6 months. So in all honesty I have been proposed to hundreds of ways hundreds of times all by the same man and I have proposed to him hundreds of times as well so for him to propose to me while I was in the shower (which is a new one by the way) is perfect because I know that he will be proposing to me randomly for the rest of my life just to remind me he loves me just as I will be him. We made our engagement official about two weeks ago when he asked my dad for his blessing to marry me and we started announcing it to all our friends and family. Which sort of happened by accident stealing the thunder of a ring which made Nathan sad. I could care less its a mere symbol of the love we have for each other and I am just happy to know we are on our way to sharing the rest of our lives together.
Nathan and I have been trying to figure out who the artist of these macabre knitted works was and today I found it on the Knitsy Bitsy Spider's page. The artist is Patrica Waller.Hurray mystery solved. Thank you Knitsy Bitsy for helping us solve the mystery.
I finally got a picture taken of a project a million years old now. I embroidered this pillow case for Nathan almost a year ago. He never uses it because he says its to special. It was part of out Alphabet Mail Along that we did while we were close to 670 miles apart which we still are but this helped us a lot in the beginning to make sure we stayed in touch and still created new memories together. This was his A. I was going to make its cousin the "Uni-gator" for U but to be completely honest the Alphabet-along fell off a bit when we took a month off from being together (understandably). I should restart it when I get back to Tennessee. I never put the horn on the Allicorn. Couldn't find a way that I liked it so Its been left off for now.
In case you were wondering what it is. At some point there was a conversation with some friends of ours about drawing animals mixed together. Namely a Unicorn with an Alligator. What would it be called? What would it look like. So they drew one and I drew them and the result was an Allicorn and a Unigator. It is said that they are mortal enemies and will fight to the death if they come across one another. So that is the tale of the Allicorna nd the Unigator.
Thursday, May 24, 2007
I am taking a break from cleaning which is going well. I recently discovered that this book has the most amazing leg warmers that I have to make for my friend Abby for her birthday which is in two days. She'll forgive me for being a bit late since I have to fly back to Tennessee the day before. I also have to make them for me. So frickin AMAZING! The designer of the leg warmers lists Siouxsie from Siouxsie and the Banshees as her source of inspiration. Which makes this a must must knit.
Nathan called and we're going to have a picnic on the beach after he gets off work. Hurray! We'll stop at Echo's of time first so I can sell my stuff hopefully. I have some shoes from the 30's, a vintage hand bag, a black pill box hat, a 70's dress that I love but never wear and some other things. I have a really hard time giving things up but I feel at least if I can give them up to Echo's they will go to a good home and I can make a couple bucks.
Man I can't wait to knit those leg warmers and wear them. They are going to be hot!!!
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).
Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as new year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
"Here's my list"
001. Grow hair out till the end of the 1001 days small trims for dead ends allowed but no more than 2 inches.
002. Plan a Wedding that doesn’t break the bank and still looks fabulous.
003. Move back to Virginia
004. Sew at least one item a month
005. Read at least one new book a month.
006. Knit all projects that I have already purchased yarn and patterns for
007. Learn to Screen Print like a pro
008. Learn to crochet a lot better
009. Crochet Amuragumi for friends
010. Knit Viking hats for god kids
011. Eat better with more veggies, fruits, and less junk.
012. Travel somewhere out of country
013. Learn to pin stripe
014. Throw a cocktail party.
015. Send letters of appreciation and love to Nathan at least once a month.
016. Get a Double Dutch group going
017. Learn to Double Dutch
018. Order custom tags for handmade items.
019. Go camping.
020. Get a full-time job.
021. Design a knitting pattern
022. Test Knit the designed pattern
023. Purchase from Stop Staring,Black Cherry Clothing, and Zombie Kitten
024. Submit the pattern to a knitting group/magazine
025. Do 1 sketch every day for 1 month.
026. Wear red lipstick every day for a month
027. Dress like a Harajuku girl for a month
028. Write pen pals and send small surprise once a month
029. Learn to style hair in a vintage style
030. Knit graffiti something
031. Organize files on computer
032. Sew a dress all by myself.
033. Make bath bombs.
034. Make marshmallows.
035. Build a piece of furniture from scratch.
037. Create an alias.
038. Bake all the cupcakes in the 75 vegan cupcakes book
039. Write everyone’s phone numbers down so when I kill my phone I actually have them
040. Sew a corset
041. Make a sock monkey.
042. Move into my own place.
043. Join a new SNB
044. Go to either: Rockabilly Weekender, Viva Las Vegas or Bonneville Speed Week
045. Take a picture of myself everyday for a month
046. Get a dog
047. Get tattoo
048. Get and install throwers for the car
049. Visit the zoo
050. Fix the passenger seat in the car by myself
051. Sew new upholstery for the car
052. Create a resume.
053. Get all the Knit 1 magazines
054. Build a small model-sized house out of matches -- then burn it down.
055. Learn to tie a bowtie.
056. Subscribe to Interweave Knits
057. get an IUD
058. Watch all 54 horror movies I got for my birthday and any other horror movies in my collection that I have not yet watched
059. Go to the drive-in.
061. Watch "The Wizard Of OZ" while listening to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon".
062. Re-establish Tanksylvainia
063. Add the new edition Bait’s Motel
064. Start as 401K
065. Start actively saving $30 a month (a least) in a no touch savings account
066. Get Married to my awesome boyfriend
067. Go apple-picking in the fall.
068. Make jam.
069. Burn all photos on computers to disk by interest (i.e. inspiration, family/friends etc)
070. Get a new degree
071. Graduate TCC
072. Learn how to design a website
073. Learn the lyrics to 4 rap songs efficiently enough to rap along. I'm so white.
074. Start and herb garden
075. Create & bury a time-capsule.
076. be more active in my online communities
077. Call family regularly
078. Write a thank you note for all gifts and kind gestures from people
079. Go streaking
080. Learn how to mix drinks well
081. See at least one band a month live
082. Go out dancing at least once a month
083. Go through all belongings and get rid of stuff
084. Sing in public (in a band, another person, karaoke, anything).
085. Make a 5 year plan with Nathan
086. Build a display case(s) for all Nathan’s loose WWF action figures
087. Watch all David Lynch movies.
088. Learn the US state capitols.
089. Get a new bed.
090. Get a free slurpiee on free slurpiee day (july 11)
091. Participate in another secret pal along
092. Host a mail along
093. Join a Mix tape group
094. Dress up as a hot dog and go tanning
095. Dress up as a hamster and go zorbing
096. Create faux fox stole from design to prototype
097. Put an entire paycheck into savings.
098. Transfer all my MP3 files to AAC for the sake of computer space or invest in a portable hard drive to hold just music.
099. Tell friends & family "I love you" regularly.
100. Embroider something once a month
101. Throw a day of the Dead party
All finished! Hurray! And I actually have a photo to share. I know its amazing!
So now the plan is to make about five more of the little baby ones but for 5 different babies most of them boys. I'll be getting started on that as soon as I get back from VA.
Speaking of getting back from VA to TN. I am going to be a busy girl. I am taking summer classes,both Biology Sciences with a Labs. Classes start every morning at 8. I haven't had to wake up that early in a while so that will be fun. I want to start getting back on my old sleeping schedule anyways. I was way more productive. I also need to find a job when I get back. Tired of being broke. Plus I have an upcoming wedding, move and all that razzamataz so ya job is necessary.
Today my plans are to clean Nathan's room, Hang out with Nathan, Andrew, Abby, Goob and who ever else shows up at Andrew's house. MMM... oh and go to Echo's in Time to sell some of my vintage or vintage style clothing to them since I don't wear it or need it and I can't bear to just give it to Goodwill where it will be miss treated or thrown away. Don't get me wrong I love good will and donate to them regularly but their policy of if its ripped or broken they can't sell it really pisses me off. Mainly because they toss out perfectly fine items that could and are offered to be purchased with out a care to the person offering to purchase it, the environment, or our wasteful society. Plus at most Goodwill stores these days they have COMPACTORS! Those things are the devil and should be destroyed. If you think its trash and others think its a treasure let them have the d*mn thing don't destroy it. If your worried about law suites just put up a sign with a whole long list on a legal document on the dumpster saying if someone dies, gets hurt, or what ever else someone thinks they can sue a company for when they dumpster dive that person/company owning the dumpster can't be held responsible. I am done ranting.
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Hat is sewn together and I am cutting fringe. Got a little side tracked redoing the blog. Let me know what you think of it.
When Nathan gets home I hope to have the baby hat finished complete with mohawk. If it is I'll have Nathan take a picture of the hats. Yay!
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
You know the drill.
Mark with bold the things you have knit (or are knitting)/crocheting, with italics the ones you plan to do sometime, and leave the rest.
Knitting with metal wire
Knitting with silk
Moebius band knitting
Participating in a KAL
Drop stitch patterns
Knitting with recycled/secondhand yarn
Slip stitch patterns
Knitting with banana fiber yarn
Domino knitting (=modular knitting)
Twisted stitch patterns
Knitting with bamboo yarn
Two end knitting
Knitting with soy yarn
Knitting with circular needles
Knitting with your own handspun yarn
Designing knitted garments
Cable stitch patterns (incl. Aran)
Publishing a knitting book
Teaching a child to knit
Knitting to make money
Knitting with alpaca
Fair Isle knitting
Dying with plant colors
Knitting items for a wedding
Household items (dishcloths, washcloths, tea cosies…)
Knitting socks (or other small tubular items) on one or two circulars
Knitting with someone else’s handspun yarn
Knitting with dpns
Holiday related knitting
Teaching a male how to knit
Knitting for a living
Knitting with cotton
Knitting two socks on two circulars simultaneously
Knitting with wool
Knitting with beads
Long Tail CO
Knitting and purling backwards (???)
Knitting with self patterning/self striping/variegated yarn
Knitting with cashmere
Knitting with synthetic yarn
Writing a pattern
Knitting with linen
Knitting for preemies
Knitting a pattern from an online knitting magazine
Knitting on a loom
Knitting a gift
Knitting for pets
Knitting with dog/cat hair
Knitting in public
We had lunch with Nathan's mom at a Mexican restaurant and to dinner later in the day with both of his parents at the Wild Wings Cantina. After that Nathan and I went to see Foxy Shazam play. I was excited to find out that Tubring was also on the set list as I really like them as well. Then there was a big surprise later when at Nathan and I'd friend Andrew's house I discovered that I had seen Darren from This show is the Rainbow on his first ever tour. I had sadly missed his show which was earlier in the evening before Foxy and Tubring. I wish I had seen him preform again because he was AMAZING when I saw him in Tulsa, OK.
We got home around 1:30 since Nathan had to work today at 8 in the A.M.. So today I have been sluggin it. Doing laundry since I have no clean pants, shirts, or under panties left on this trip. I guess thats normal when your trip gets extended for twice the amount of time you thought you we're going to be somewhere. No biggie.
Monday, May 21, 2007
Hope to start the babies Mohawk hat a-sapple. Can't wait to give them to Marley and Josh. So excited. If the Mohawk baby hat is a hit I am going to make a whole load of them for my other expecting or recently blessed friends.
I find it amusing that the Mohawk hat is all over the place recently. Its in Domiknitrix new book, there is a site that specializes in just making knit Mohawk hats some of which are very cool(they also claim to be its inventor which I severely disagree with but thats not worth dithering over), the Dior hat a good 5 years or so ago that hit the runways which I still love and want and so on. I think its an exciting trend mainly because I think they are fun hats.
This is a bit of kitchen fun I stumbled on to,the voodoo 5 knife holder. I really want one actually. I see how some people would think that its really morbid but its so cartoon-ish I really don't feel that its threatening. Can't help what you love I guess.
I'm planning on moving back to VA with in the next 6 months and I have always dreamed of having a cartoon inspired kitchen. Kind of retro with bold primary colors. All the appliances would be stainless steel with pops of red occasionally. I want my mixer to be bright red. Anywhoodles enough with the day dreams.
Sunday, May 20, 2007
Saturday, May 19, 2007
I am working on a set of hats for my friends Josh and Marley's daughter. They already have a 10 year old named Ethan so I am also knitting him a hat to match his sisters. Marley and Josh are kind of punky so I am making the kids Mohawk hats. For Ethan's hat I am using this pattern as the base hat. It will be black with an orange Mohawk(his favorite color) for his sisters I am going to use white for the base and a variegated pink for the Mohawk.Hopefully this pattern will work out for me. I hope they turn out and the family likes them.
Tuesday, May 01, 2007
Since I last posted I have attended Knittapolooza in Virginia Beach with my mother. I had a great time. Took some awesome classes and got really inspired to try my hand at getting ideas I have for knitting patterns out of my head and onto paper. I am determined to have one complete pattern at the very least by the end of the summer.
School has been hectic as it should be but is now over. My last final is in 2 hours. Thank goodness.
I made some great projects from my fibers class. Hopefully I can get some good pictures of them when Nathan comes to visit so I can share my work with all of you.
I got the book Naughty Knits which was a little more Naughty than I was expecting but still has some really cute patterns in it besides.
Nathan is coming to visit me in a week and 7 hours. Hurray!
In my knitting news.
I got the bag part of the rose bag finished. I am working on finishing all the roses and petals. Can't wait for it all to be finished and sewn together.
Well I have to jet but more later.